Today is August 15th which is 29 days late. But even late, it is worth
remembering 23 years and 29 days ago--which is one of my most favorite days.
We decided to go on one last camping trip of the year on Friday and Saturday, July 14 and 15. We went with some friends from our ward (Peter was not due to come until August). It was pretty much a disasterous weekend. Dad ran over his foot with the car. Our car would only start about every other try. The wife of the couple we went with was early in her third pregnancy and pretty morning sick. I had a bad back ache all night(which in hind sight was probably early labor) and didn't sleep at all. Early Saturday morning we packed up to leave. We did walk around some that morning which Christie and Drew enjoyed.
 |
| July15, 1989 Annette(sitting) Tracy Simmons, Chris, Christie, Drew, Simmons kids |
 |
| July 15, 1989 Chris, Drew, Annette |
 |
| July 15, 1989 Christie, Drew, Chris |
 |
| July 15,1989 Simmons family, Chris, Drew, Christie |
I don't
remember much of the rest of Saturday. Sunday we went to church, but I was so uncomfortable sitting down I finally left church and walked around and around the building.
 |
| July 16,1989 Annette, Peter(18 hours before birth) |
Early Monday morning labor began in earnest started. Because we knew Peter had a problem with his intestine,s ultrasounds were ordered and administered and NBICU was alerted.
Peter came pretty quick(just a couple hours of labor) and I
remember holding him for a short time. Ohh Bliss!(There is nothing more perfect in the world than getting acquainted with this new, most perfect person in your life).
 |
| July 17, 1989 Annette, Drew, Christie welcome Peter to our family and the world |
 |
| July 17, 1989 Christie holding Peter, Drew swinging |
 |
| July 17, 1989 Drew, Peter, Annette, Christie |
 |
| July 17,1989 Only picture of Chris (Chris looks great, the others not so much--sorry!) |
But within a couple hours Peter was taken from me for tests. The next time I saw him he was attached to more wires than I thought possible. I was completely unprepared for the next few weeks. I just
remember my heart hurting when I looked at my new baby in such a mess. (While Peter was in the NBICU, Utah Valley NBICU made the news for having the most twin in their history. It was a pretty busy place and Peter had lots of babymates. Most of those babies were very tiny and Peter at 7and 1/2 pounds looked like a giant baby).
 |
| July 17, 1989 Peter attached to too many wires |
 |
| July 20, 1989 Post surgery :( |
Finally after nearly 2 weeks Peter came home to Dad and I and Christie and Drew, where he belonged.
 |
| End of July 1989 Petercomes home with mom :) |
 |
| End of July Peter, Drew, Annette |
 |
| End of July 1989 Drew, Christie, Peter and Annette |
Just an added note: At my first appointment of the pregnancy we desided not to do an ultrasound(which were not routine at this time) because I was no longer teaching and our new insurace did not cover this expense. Since we had had ultrasounds with both Christie and Drew we thought it best to save on this added expense. After the appointment Dr. Hess came back into the room and handed me a referral for an ultrasound. He said he couldn't explain why, but said he just felt like we needed to go ahead and have the ultrasound done. It was in that ultrasound they found the cyst that was totally blocking the intestine.
Even after Peter was born, Dr Hess felt around Peter's abdomen and could not detect the cyst. Without that ultrasound we would have had no idea Peter was sick and he would not have survived the week. It isn't the only time Heaven has watched over and protected Peter's life, but it was the first time and I am so grateful for the past 23 years and 29 days that Peter has blessed my life.
I love you Pete--so glad you come to my house to live!
No comments:
Post a Comment