Sunday, January 19, 2014

New "Carpet"

Last Friday was a challenging day.  Friday is "clean the house day" and that is how my day started (after seminary and walking of course).  I had the whole basement and main level cleaned and was just getting ready to tackle the upstairs when I noticed all ashes in the fireplace in the den.  I decided to clean them out before heading upstairs.  I put all the ashes in a plastic bag and set it off to the side.  I then ran to the other room for something and came back to take the ashes outside.  I was gone under 1 minute.  When I walked back into the den there were flames three feet high in front of the bookcases.  I screamed, which alerted your dad and I quickly grabbed the bag and threw it into the fireplace.  Dad had ran to get a bowl of water to put out the remaining sparks.  I thought all the ashes were cold, I didn't feel any heat as I was scooping them into the bad.  Apparently there were still a few warm embers that quickly burned through the bag and ignited our carpet. 

Cleaning took a little longer that day.  I did finish the upstairs, but then I had to re-clean the den because ashes were everywhere.  I set to work to try to undo the fire mess.  I swept up the big chucks of residue, vacuumed the remaining ash, which in the end just spread the ash around.  I took carpet cleaner and a scrub brush and scrubbed for nearly an hour with little improvement. 

It was about that time dad returned home from campus and suggested I take a needed nap.  When I woke up we went to Home Depot and picked out some new carpet which will be installed in a week to ten days. 

Dad knew I didn't like that carpet and with humor suggested what we have termed perhaps it was a "Freudian fire".  Christie called while we were at Home depot so I quickly told her why I couldn't talk right then and before we hung up she suggested that I missed the mess and destruction that 6 kids cause so I have taken to destroying my own home.    Humor helps!

So why I am I sharing this with you today? 

In the Georgetown ward we had a sister who shared her testimony almost every Fast Sunday.  She was EXTREMELY animated and shared how something in her everyday life had taught her an eternal gospel principal.  At first her testimony was just weird to me(looking back I think I was uncomfortable with her very animated delivery), but by the time we left I had come to look forward to hearing  her testimony.  I came to really admire that she could so easily find God's hand in her everyday life. 


And the fire did that for me this weekend.  So here is what I learned.

1. First, it didn't ruin my day--I didn't spend the next decade chastising myself for my mistake.  in fact,after the immediate danger I actually told dad how thankful I was because if I had not returned as quickly as I did, we could have lost a huge part of our home.  In that moment I saw personal growth.  It is hard to see our self change because it comes so gradually.  But I knew who I was and in that moment I was able to see how naturally it come to be grateful and who I had become.  It made me smile and gave me hope to know I could change and become a better version of myself,. 

2. Second I saw some gospel "types":  In the types fire is sin, carpet is me, nap is rest from burdens and dad is my Savior

a. Type one:  fire can ruin a life and that is obvious.  But even seemingly cool ashes are not safe--stay away.

b. Type two:  when we are getting burned we need to quickly call for help to minimize the damage.

c. Type three:  when we find ourselves near the flames we need to extinguish them immediately to minimize the damage.

d. No amount of scrubbing on our part will completely undo the damage from the aftermath of fire—we need tear up the old carpet and replace it with new carpet.

e. Getting rest helps eases the stress.

f. Dad not once made me feel bad; he invited me to take a nap to rest then so willingly paid for the new carpet. 

I am grateful for Sister Weller’s example of looking for ways in everyday life to help us remember the most important things we should remember.  That God is our father, He knows us, He loves us, He want to be part of our life and if we just open our eyes we will see Him often in our daily moments. 

And that is why there are no pictures in this post--no need to remember the burn--I will take a picture and add it later when there is new carpet. 


Family Updates this past few weeks:
1.  Christie and Tyler got good news, that the "bleed" on the placenta is significantly smaller and maybe gone.  Also they are no longer thinking she will need a C-section.  She is still in modified "bed rest", but at this point we are hoping that is precautionary. 
2.  Drew got a new supervisor at work and really likes him--we are so grateful Michael Scott was not hired by Dan Ryan Homes.  Jessica got a new part time job at NC State.  And there is a good possibility she will be able to work at home once "BeBe" Barnes arrives.  Drew and Jessica are  the new 11 year old Primary teachers. 
3.  Peter has started his internship with URS.  He has wonderful living arrangements, but misses Jill terribly.  So two weeks down and awhile to go--I have never been apart from dad for more than three weeks so I don't know.  But I know Christie/Tyler and Drew/Jessica made is through so I know Peter/Jill  will too.  Still it isn't much fun and I think of Peter and Jill often.
4.  Lori and Zach are both back at school.  With all their health related classes I can't even imagine what there dinner conversation entail!  Have a  great  semester!
5.  Lisa is happy with her new apartment.  She really likes her roommates and her ward.  She has started in on Major classes so that will be fun.  And she has officially take a leave of absence from McDonalds so is looking for an on campus job.  Have a great semester!
6.  Katie is now driving by herself more and more.  And it is making me less and less anxious.  She is taking Honors Math and chemistry and that is proving to be a bit of a challenge.  She tries out for soccer Monday and Tuesday.  Think about her.  It is exhausting to move and have to constantly "prove" yourself.  But she has done well and we are proud of her. 
7.  Don't forget to input your exercise time for this past week.

No comments:

Post a Comment