Easter makes me smile. Easter is time for the world to wake up with brilliant flowering trees, blooming flowers and grass turning green. I really enjoy watching my children hunt for colorful eggs filled with yummy treats and search for Easter baskets Easter morning. And I loved the excuse to buy lots of jelly beans and chocolate--something I didn't justify often.
Over the years I have heard debate that the secular part of Easter is a distraction to the real meaning of Easter. Maybe it is, maybe I am guilty of this distraction. Still I am not sure there is not room for both a celebration of both the resurrection and Easter baskets. After all, Easter egg hunts make us smile and it makes a memory.
![]() |
| April 1992 Powder Springs Ward Easter Egg Hunt--Christie, Peter, Drew and Lori |
![]() |
| April 1992 Powder Springs Ward Easter Egg Hunt--Lori and mom |
![]() |
| April 1992 Powder Springs Ward Easter Egg Hunt--Christie, Peter, Drew, Lori and mom |
![]() |
| April 1992 Powder Springs Ward Easter Egg Hunt--Christie, Peter, Drew, Lori and mom |
![]() |
| April 2001 Raleigh NC Lisa and Lori |
![]() |
| April 2001 Raleigh NC Katie Jo and Papa Barnes |
![]() |
| April 2001 Raleigh NC Katie Jo and Papa Barnes |
But the best part of Easter is the Resurrection. It brings more than a smile, it brings lasting happiness. The first Easter was a little over 2000 years ago. Then, there were no colorful eggs. Then, there was only despair. Then, grieved stricken women went to the borrowed tomb of Joseph of Arimathea to prepare the body of their beloved friend and Savior. Then, an angel greeted them with the most life altering question, " Why seek ye the living among the dead?" And afterward made the declaration that prophets past, present and future will testify is the most important words ever spoken, "He is not here, but is risen!"
President Thomas S. Monson bore testimony of the living Savior when he said, “With all my heart and the fervency of my soul, I lift up my voice in testimony as a special witness and declare that God does live. Jesus is His Son, the Only Begotten of the Father in the flesh. He is our Redeemer; He is our Mediator with the Father. He it was who died on the cross to atone for our sins. He became the first fruits of the Resurrection. Because He died, all shall live again. ‘Oh, sweet the joy this sentence gives: “I know that my Redeemer lives!” ’ May the whole world know it and live by that knowledge.”
Please take some time today and watch this video.
Because of Him
The words spoken by the angel at the tomb, "He is not here, but is risen" evoke such deep feelings of gratitude and awe that I could not possibly express those feelings adequately with words, so suffice it to say because of Him, I have hope. Hope I will be with Mimi and Papa McQuade again. Hope that no matter how often I mess up I can change and be like new. Hope that hard things will someday make sense. Hope that feelings of loneliness do not mean I am alone. Hope that someday I will go home to "the God who gave me life" and hope at that time we will still be an eternal family!
Instead of just wishing you Happy Easter, I want you to know that because of Easter( The Resurrection of Christ) there is happiness.
Family Updates(since my three week absence so much has happened):
1. Christie went into labor, and out, back in and presently back out of labor.
2. Drew and Jessica made it through their childbirth class so now there is no reason for Naomi not to join our family--Come on Naomi we are all so anxious to meet you!
3. Lori, Lisa and Zach finished up Winter 2014 semesters. Congratulations!
4. Peter finished his internship in South Carolina. Congratulations!
5. Dad went to Chile and is safe at home again. He said it was a beautiful country.
6. Katie Jo finish her soccer season, is getting ready to play powder puff football and was invited to Mormon Prom with Christian Phillips.







No comments:
Post a Comment