Sunday, August 24, 2014

Returning to Remember

Yes, dad and I only knew each other nine days before becoming engaged--and yes that sound crazy even to me, but I am not sure you know the details of that wonderful short love story.  And I think you should, after all it why each of you are----well,are here. 

So in the beginning.....

Dad said he remembered seeing me the day I moved into Park Plaza apartments.  I also noticed him that first week, but we didn't meet yet.  I was called to serve as a Relief Society teacher.  Since it was the beginning of the semester  with lots of new callings, dad( he was serving as EQP at the time) was asked to help set apart new callings.  He helped set me apart that day, around the middle of September,  so we briefly met.  I remember how much I would like to get to know him better.  But I did look cute that day in my white dress with very pale pink and yellow stripes that Mimi had recently made for me. 

During the week I went to the pool at the complex hoping that dad would perhaps be there--he wasn't!

Then on Sunday, September 28, 1983 my roommates and I were sitting in our living room getting better acquainted.  When they found out I was graduating the next April and had no prospects of marriage they jokingly grabbed the BYU 78th ward directory(with pictures of each ward member)--aka potential spouse shopping guide, and said I should pick  someone out.  I took the "shopping guide" and opened the first page.  I said "I think Dave Barkdell is cute".  Then I said I thought Chris Barnes was too.  At that exact second Dad knocked on my door and asked for me.  My roommate answered the door and told me Chris Barnes wanted to talk to me.  It was only the shock that helped us keep composure.  Dad  asked me if I would like to go to a Fireside at the Marriott Center that night to hear Elder Mark E Petersen.  As soon as he left, Darci Weir exclaimed, "wow what just happened"?  Then another roommate, Tammy, grabbed the ward directory and said I choose him(pointing to another guy).  But this time there was no knock. 

Dad and went to the fireside that night.  I can't remember anything Elder Petersen said, but I remember feeling completely comfortable with dad even though it was our first date. We talked and talked and talked. 

The  next day, dad  prayed that he would be guided in this new relationship.  As he prayed he was told he would marry me.  He stopped mid-prayer and stood up and said  he didn't really want to know that yet.

I saw him everyday that next week from 3:30pm - 5pm, then from 11pm to midnight.  I was student teaching all day and dad  worked at Wrights Furniture Mill from 5pm - 11pm.  The next Friday(September 30) asked me if I wanted to go to the Ward Barbeque with him.  I was super excited, an hour before it started he called and said he had to go early to set up and he would just see me there.  I was really disappointed.  But as soon as I arrived he came right over to me and we spent the whole ward activity together.  Dad had to work that night so we  made plans for him to stop by after work. 

Dad was going hiking the next day early so I dropped off a bag of cinnamon bears for him to take on his hike.  He thought since I did this I meant for him not to stop over that night.  He was disappointed and so was when he didn't come by after work.  Boo for miscommunication! 

The next morning before leaving on his hike dad dropped off a pumpkin for me with a note that he would see me later that day, a plan to carve the pumpkin together later and a thanks for the cinnamon bears--which I later learned he threw off the top of the mountain. 
Oct 1, 1983 Park Plaza--Pumpkin Chris gave Annette(wearing Chris' hat)

That Sunday Oct 2 dad asked if I wanted to come to his  apartment to watch General Conference with him and his roommates.  Between sessions of conference we went for a drive to Granite Flats(no roommates this time).  I was wearing white pants and a light blue blouse--not the best attire for hiking around.  But we did walk a little and in one of the most beautiful spots on this earth dad pulled me toward him and hugged me, then asked if he could kiss me--finally!!!!

Monday, Oct 3 dad and I went  for jog up to the Provo temple.  We stopped and talked just outside the temple fence and said this was a wonderful first Family Home Evening.  That should have been weird, but it was not strange at all.

It was at this point I prayed if Chris would be good person for me to marry.  I was told to read my own journal for my answer.  Several years before I found an article about love.  I wrote it down, with someone else in mind, but knew then that he would never really love me like that.  This time when I read it, I knew Chris could love me like I deserved to be loved.

Tuesday, Oct 4 I saw dad for that hour between our work schedules.  He went off to work and prepared for the next day of teaching.  Both wanting the time to pass so we could see each other again from 11pm to midnight.  But dad didn't come right at 11pm.  While at work Chris decided he didn't want to play games since we both already knew we wanted to spend our forever with each other.  He didn't want to propose to me with wood dust all over him.  He showered and came over and asked if we could go for a walk at Kiwanis Park which was immediately behind Park Plaza.  He didn't hesitate, he just said, "so do you want to get married"?  I didn't hesitate either, I quickly said, "yes, I do want to marry you". 

It was a couple weeks later when I got my ring we took pictures. 
October 1983 Kiwanis Park, Provo Utah

October 1983 Kiwanis Park, Provo Utah

October 1983 Kiwanis Park, Provo Utah

Add caption

October 1983 Kiwanis Park, Provo Utah

Anyways, I just wanted to remember and telling you was a good way for me to remember

So dad and I just got back another group of family DVD's .  We have noticed  over the years we return to the same places again and again.  I think we return to remember! 

Our first trip to Granite Flats was our first kiss--a magical moment!  Our second trip back we are anticipating parenthood.

Oct 1984 Granite Flats--baby on the way and feeling a little queasy
 

Oct 1984 Granite Flats--baby on the way and feeling a little queasy

Oct 1984 Granite Flats--baby on the way and feeling a little queasy

Oct 1984 Granite Flats--baby on the way and feeling a little queasy
We have returned many times over the years--for you all it is just one of many beautiful adventures,

Oct 1988 Granite Flats Chris and Christie Anne

Oct 1988 Granite Flats Annette, Drew and Christie Anne

Oct 1988 Granite Flats Drew and Christie Anne

Oct 1988 Granite Flats Annette, Drew and Christie
but for dad and I it is always a return to a magical memory.


  Family News:
1.  Topher started 2nd grade
2.  Caroline is nearly potty-trained
3.  August is sleeping more consistently through the night
4.  Lori and Zach are back in Rexburg and back to work.
5.  Lisa is out of the boot--I loved seeing her in two shoes.
6.  Katie had her first XC race--it was preseason so a 2 mile race, but still her had a PR and got a second place medal! 
7.  Dad had  week off of travel, but oh that was the calm before the storm--as he just found out he has a ton of travel over the next 8 weeks. 



No comments:

Post a Comment