Yesterday I ran over to Krogers pick up a few things for the weekend and when I came out there was a young cub scout selling popcorn. He was confident and kind as he approached me. In the one minute he gave me his rehearsed sell pitch
memories flooded back to my years with cub scouts.
I didn't grow up with much familiarity of cub scouting--Uncle Joe is my only brother and is ten years older than me which meant I was just a baby during his cub scouting years.
Dad was called to serve as Cub Scout master a few years after we moved to Powder Springs(the first time). I remember attending my first Pack meeting. At first I couldn't believe dad would start a meeting with a prayer and the next thing on the agenda was a "Home Alone cheer", followed by giving a "round of applause" as each boy received their award. But it was fun and after the first meeting I was converted to scouting.
Over the years I looked forward to watching a basketball gym transform into a rain gutter regatta with boys on their hands and knees blowing homemade sailboats along a gutter. Or watching a cardboard box derby with boys run around the gym carrying a cardboard box around their waist and willing to pull into a "pit stop" and let their parents and siblings squirt them in the face( washing the wind shield). I even remember the infamous pinewood derby with affection--although I have to admit it has taken a few years to feel that affection. At the time I dreaded this event. Mostly because dad was often out of town so I had to help build the cars. Those years, Drew and Peter had the ugliest cars--plainly painted with fishing weights, quarters or anything else that would give the necessary weight just hot glued right on top of the car. I was merciless taunted by the other dad's who had spent hours "helping" their sons with their cars. Their taunts were short-lived when Momma Barnes' ugly cars left those pretty cars in the dust--proof miracles do indeed exist! Also the Pinewood derby is the one scouting event, guaranteed to produce tears(from the boys) and contention(from the dads).
With all those
memories stirring around in my brain, I pulled out my wallet and bought scout popcorn. I hope that young scout has the determination to finish, I hope he has good leaders and supportive parents. And I hope he turns out half as good as my Drew and Peter. This world needs a lot more of that kind of good fun and goodness!
Here are a few cub scouting
memories:
 |
| August 1995 Cub Scout pack meeting Drew with Cub Scout Master Dad |
 |
| August 1995 Cub Scout Pack meeting Drew with Cub Scout master Dad |
 |
| August 1995 Cub Scout pack Meeting Drew pinning mom--Lisa looking on |
 |
| 1998 Cub Scout Summer Activity Peter, Sis Studer and Strausburg) |
 |
| 1998 Cub Scout Summer Activity( Gentry, JC Peter, Gareth, Neil, Kaleb) |
 |
| 1998 Cub Scout Summer Activity |
 |
| 1997 Cub Scout Summer Activity--Peter and Elys |
 |
| Feb 1999 Pine wood Derby--tear stained face, Lori looking on |
 |
| Peter at Pack Meeting--Sisters Studer and Blind |
 |
| Peter at Pack Meeting( Ely Benjamin Boyd, Studer) |
 |
| Cub Scouts Summer Activity Peter and Bro Ely |
 |
| Feb 1999 Pinewood Derby--Little Peter and Big Peter(Couzens) |
 |
| Feb 1999 Pine wood Derby( Yandow, Gareth, Nick, JC, Mark) |
 |
| Cub Scout--Peter (Ely's Blinds, Kaleb Lee, Yandow, Studer, Larry Long) |
 |
| Winner of Pinewood Derby--Dad, mom and Peter |
 |
| Winner of Pinewood Derby--Dad, mom and Peter |
 |
| Winner of Pinewood Derby--Dad, mom and Peter |
No comments:
Post a Comment