Yesterday dad and I attended a funeral. Funerals are hard. I always return to my own thoughts and feelings of the funeral services for my mom and dad and Uncle Ron. And even though I know the separation is temporary, sometimes temporary still hurts like crazy. In spite of the sadness, funerals are a time to remember the impact of someone's life. I love the remember part of a funeral. When someone is gone from us, all the good things surface and the challenges somehow disappear, so that we remember the good and forget the not so good. Remembering only the good about someone is a healing experience. I think maybe that is how our Savior always sees us. I hope so!
I didn't know the young man who passed away well, but I do know and care about his mom and dad. The young man who passed away had the severe mental illness of Schizophrenia. This illness causes his parents and four brothers a great deal of sorrow during his lifetime. Because of this I wondered what could be said that would bring healing to this sad family.
It ended up being a remarkable service. The memories that were shared were of moments of joy that this broken son, brother and friend brought to life. And although the painful moments very more numerous than the joyful ones, this family chose to remember the joy! They trust that he is now home and healed.
This whole experience made me think of the power in remembering. It is why I write this blog so you will know that when I remember our times together I feel joy.
Here is my first moments with you. As I held you for the first time, I remember thinking about your future and how the world would be a better place because of all the greatest in you. I was pretty sure you would remain perfect and never be capable of doing anything wrong. And you were my motivation to be a perfect mom too. The truth is we have let each other down from time to time. But, as we remember moments together, disappointments diminish and all that is left is joy.
![]() |
| April 9, 1985 Our new little family. I am still feeling a little wobbly from my subsequent surgery after Christie's birth, but dad is feeling fine and so happy!!! |
![]() |
| April 10, 1985 Mom admiring perfection! |
![]() |
| April 10, 1985 Mom kissing perfection! |
![]() |
| January 25, 1987 Our growing family |
![]() |
| January 25, 1987 mom admiring her new son |
![]() |
| July 17, 1989 Mom watching over perfect Peter in ICU while they run tests |
![]() |
| August 1989 Our family growing again--so cute! |
![]() |
| August 30, 1991 Mom holding this beautiful new daughter |
![]() |
| September 1991 So proud of my family |
![]() |
| September 1991 Dad loves his new little baby girl |
![]() |
| February 17, 1994 Mom getting acquainted with this perfect baby. Maybe even then I knew she would amaze me with her perfectly strong personality |
![]() |
| March 1994 Dad surrounded by the best and brightest! |
![]() |
| July 3, 1997 Mom feeling such gratitude for this newest blessing from heaven |
![]() |
| July 1997 Mom can't get enough of this last baby--I think deep inside I knew she would be the last to come so I sneaked lots of extra little moments! |
Remembering each week as I blog I still see the perfection I saw that first day you came into my life.
So I am going to ask you to do something for me. I am going to ask you to remember something each week. Go get a sticky note and write down these two things. This week here is what I want you to remember, Psalms 20:7
Second, remember, mom loves you!
Okay now write them down and put that sticky note where you will see it all week so you really do remember all week long.
I know remembering certain essential things can save us, literally save us---"remember man and perish not"! (Mosiah 4:30)
Family News:
1. Peter head to Iowa tomorrow. Interviewing is a big challenge so keep him in your prayers this next few days.
2. Katie ran Saturday. She ran well in spite of being sick and losing her shoe half way through the race. Maybe we will have to look for running cleats that have Velcro--just teasing Katie!
3. Today is the 2nd anniversary of Uncle Ron's death. Please keep Aunt Bev in your prayers. It has been a hard week for her.














No comments:
Post a Comment