It has been a little over two months and I feel bad about that--not so much because you depend on this blog, but I kind of do. It has become my journal and my way of remembering how much God blesses me!
So here is a bit of a "catch-up":
March: More blessings, we found out we were getting a new grandbaby in October.
We prepared for Christie, Tyler and family to come. It isn't the best of circumstances(Tyler losing a job), but I still enjoyed getting toys out and buying coloring books with anticipation of Topher, Maddie, Caroline and August's arrival.
April: Topher was baptized.
Lisa came for a visit during her Spring break. Life around here is more lively with Lisa around. I miss her when she is gone.
Drew, Jessica and Naomi came for a weekend visit. We had a full house and it felt wonderful. It was fun to have all 5 grandbabies together. Naomi and August were so cute together. I hope they become the best of friends.
The end of April dad and I went to Raleigh to celebrate Papa Barnes 80th birthday. It was fun plotting and planning to get all the "boys"(who are all really men now) together after 20+ years.
The best part of that weekend for me was seeing Papa's face when Kevin walked in the house. Papa stuttered and stammered and ran to greet Kevin. It was great!
May: Mostly is was the end of the school/seminary year. Katie is now a senior, Topher is now in third grade and Maddie Mae is now in Kindergarten. And I will be teaching Old Testament in seminary next year. This upcoming year I will teach solo. I am glad for that, but feel bad about complaining about team teaching last year. It had some drawbacks--mostly me not getting to do things exactly my way which is hard to admit, but is in fact the hard truth. But mostly it was good. I learned to be more patient, less controlling about my circumstances and best of all Kimberly has become a good friend.
Then there were other challenges too. Without all the gory details of female stuff, I had a biopsy testing for uterine cancer. This week it came back all clear. And although uterine cancer is very curable and my other risk factors were small, it was scary and I feel relief.
Although I neglected blogging, I wasn't neglecting everything. I spent a lot for time preparing to teach the Doctrine and Covenants each day. I had not read the Doctrine and Covenants since I was in college. I tend to like a story and the D&C doesn't have a story line, so over the years I just skipped it over in my personal study. Our last day of class we had each of the kids share something they gained from their study of the D&C. It made me think of what I had gained and what were the highlights for me.
1. I learned what is contained in the Book of Mormon is the gospel of salvation and that the D&C contains the gospel of exaltation. Wow, there is doctrine that expands both mind and spirit.
2. I learned God is patient. He organized His church bit by bit, not in one big overwhelming swoop. He is also patient with his children as we progress bit by bit. I'm very grateful for that!
3. I learned that Joseph Smith is more truly remarkable than I had previously understood. I have had a testimony of Joseph as a prophet for a long time, but mostly that was a testimony by default because I know the Book of Mormon is God's word, I don't have any doubts about that, therefore, Joseph Smith must be a prophet. Sometime during this year my testimony of Joseph Smith became independent of all other knowledge. I told dad one day, "I don't think we really know who he is". I have come to love and appreciate Joseph's example of doing whatever God asks, even when it is hard. So now I have more desire to do hard things well. So even though I don't fully understand why I am asked to do some things, now want to do my part.
Well that pretty much wraps up the last 2+ months.
Family News: (I am sure I have missed lots...this is just what comes to the top of my mind)
1. Tyler (with lots of help and encouragement from Christie) continues applying, interview, waiting and applying some more for jobs. Keep them in your prayers.
2. Jessica finished winter her first year of her PhD program. Although there is still work to be done, she can take the summer to catch her breathe and enjoy more relaxed time with Naomi and Drew.
3. Peter is nearly done with his initial orientation at Nestle-Purina. Sometime soon he will actually get to be an accountant.
4. Zach graduated--congrats and Lori is now in her last semester of her college career. Morning sickness has subsided so life is looking up. Zach is preparing for his licensing exam the middle of June. Keep him in your prayers too.
5. Lisa is back in school. She has gone three semester in a row so she is starting to feel a little burnout, but hanging in there and doing well.
6. Katie is working A LOT. Now that school is out, she can slow down a little--at least until next week when summer XC runs begin.
7. Dad has now sold 21 books. He is getting ready to travel to Chile again in June.






No comments:
Post a Comment