![]() |
| June 7, 1984 at Washington DC Temple Papa McQuade, Mimi McQuade, Annette, Chris, Grandmother Barnes, Papa Barnes |
This Thursday marks the 28th year of the very best day of my life. For the 8,161 days(or 22 years--4months--and 4 days) before and the 10,228 days( or 28 years) after there are none that have meant more to me than June 7, 1984.
There have been other days that have been momentous and life changing. Happy days like each day I became a mamma to my six babies. Sad days like the day I found out my mom was really sick and both nights when I found out when mom and dad had finished their mortal probation and I was left to complete my time here without them. Fun days like out beach vacations. Proud days like graduations, soccer games and acceptance to college. Sweet day like weddings and new grandbabies joining our family. Nerve racking days, painful, disappointing days, frustrating days, scary days, lonely days and peaceful, content days.
But none have compared to my wedding day. I remember the day perfectly. The memories are fixed so vididly in my mind as if they happened yesterday. I remember waking in the hotel room near the Washington DC temple. Actually the first time I woke was the about 2am. It was Aunt Margo calling to tell me she was thinking about me. Aunt Margo is a very gifted and talented person, but math calculations we never her strong point. She miscalculated time zone changes. She was calling me at midnight her time thinking( and probably staying up) she was calling me at 10pm. But alas it was 2am. Still it is nice to remember my sister was the first person I talked to on my wedding day. There is nothing quite like a sister!
When it was really morning, I woke early to get ready. I went into the little entrance near the bathroom to do situps and leg lifts. I was feeling pretty anxious about not getting to run that day so this would have to do. My mom and dad told me I could take one day, ecpeically this day, off from exercise. But it just made me feel better to maintain my daily routine.
I remember I showered, then did my own hair and makeup. I think I was ready in about 30 minutues. (I have never been one to primp). I rode with Mom and Dad to McDonalds and then to the temple. Everyone grabbed a quick breakfast since the next time we would eat would be mid afternoon. It was at this point my tummy felt the nerves. I could only drink a cup of orange juice.
I remember I met up with Chris at the temple to make sure we had all the proper paper work( temple recommends, wedding licenses). There was another bride there that day and her groom did not show up. She was crying in her daddy's arms.
I remember The temple experience was a little challenging. It was so different than anything I had ever experienced. I just remember thinking my mom is okay with all of this so it must be fine.
I remember sitting briefly in the sealing room with Chris and family before we were sealed. The room was beauiful, the feeling of love and family was beautful too. It felt safe.
I remember the counsel our sealer gave us just before he performed the sealing ordinance. He counseled us to begin our family.
I remember Chris escorting me to the altar then looking into his beautful brown eyes as we knelt across the alter. I remember thinking how blessed I was to find such a handsome, kind man.
![]() |
| June 7, 1984 This is a picture in the vistor center, but it is the sealing room we were sealed in |
I remember thinking all the waiting was worth this moment. Waiting for 22 years to find him. And waiting through a really long 9 month engagement. Just lots of waiting. But so worth the wait!
![]() |
| Winter 1983 Provo, Utah Engaged |
![]() |
| Winter 1983 Provo, Utah Engaged |
![]() |
| Winter 1983 Provo, Utah Engaged |
I remember looking into the mirrors in the sealing room after the sealing was over. I remember see us forever!
I remember taking lots and lots of pictures outside the temple. It was a very hot humid day.
I remember feeling really beautiful and completely happy.
![]() |
| June 7, 1984 |
![]() |
| June 7, 1984 |
![]() |
| June 7, 1984 |
![]() |
| June 7, 1984 |
![]() |
| June 7, 1984 |
I remember Papa Barnes sneaking over to get a picture of just the two of us. He said he had waited a long time for a daughter and he wanted a picture the mark the moment. I loved him so much for the acceptance and welcome into his life.
![]() |
| June 7, 1984 |
The rest of the day is just for us to remember.....
As the years have passed, my wedding day memory has taken on greater understanding and today I have so much more grattitude and apprecation for that wonderful perfect day.
Then, I thought only of Chris and I.
Now, I understand that the forever binding or sealing of Chris and I was only part of that day.
Now, I understand that as we looked in those mirrors and saw eternity it was more than just the two of us. As we looked into one mirror, just around the corner there were those who came before. In that moment we were also promising past generations that we would stay true to our covenants. When we turned around and looked in the other mirror, just around the corner there were those who would come after us--our six children and all our grandbabies. And in that same moment we were promising each of you that we would stay true to our covenents. We would teach you and give you the best opportunity to make and keep your eternal covenants in the temple some day. Really we were a link to bind our children to us, but also to our parents and grandparents. I have also come to understand that all this linking, binding and sealing is what links, binds and seals us to Dieity.
![]() |
| July 30, 2011 These are the wonderful crazy people I love to be linked, binded and sealed too. (you too Jill) |
On my wedding day, my perfect day, I married my very best friend, the love of my life. Looking back over the past 28 years, not everything has gone how I imagined it in my minds eye. But it has gone exactly as it should. The challenging, hard times are times to support and love each other as we walk by faith.
June 7, 1984 I loved Chris so much.
June 7, 2012 I love Chris a thousand times more.
June 7, 2084 I suppose I will love him that much more again.
Happy Anniversery Sweetheart. I can't wait for next 28 years together.
I love you.....love me
Family updates for this week:
1. Lisa had surgery on her ankle and foot Tuesday, May 30. The surgery went well. The recovery has also gone well--I know that becuase she is no longer sleeping sleeping sleeping and was really excited when I told her she could go to the grocery store with me as a fun outing. She is bored so keep those phone calls coming. We go back to get the dressing removed and to acquire her stylish new boot on June 12th.
2. Peter starts at Farmers Insurance this week and ends employment at Kmart this week.
3. Jesssica arrived in Georgia this week. She is off to teach in North Carolina this week.
4. Drew moved in with the Thompson clan--which means now his workday at Big D construstion will be the most relaxing part of each day.
5. Lisa graduates from seminary tonight. She really wants to attend the ceremony(it might just be an excuse to get off the red couch for a few hours. So we will see how she is doing later today). Still we are proud of her for this accomplishment.












No comments:
Post a Comment