Sunday, June 23, 2013

Siblings

As I was putting away yet more "stuff" I came across a random photograph.  It must have fallen out of my perfectly organized photo album--because of course all my photos are filed away with precision--Ohhhh I wish!  Any way, this picture was at the bottom of a box and it caught my eye.

I don't have many pictures of my siblings all together, but here are a few of them.
Laramie WY 1965
Family Reunion 1992



Family Picture
March 1999

As I looked at each picture I remember where we were and what was going on in our life.  Behind the smile for the camera each of us had things we were struggling with at the time.  Some of those struggles were big and some were tiny challenges, but each of us had secrets in our hearts that were of concern.

Sometimes(no often) we don't see eye-to-eye with our siblings.  I think that might just be the strength of family--lots of opinions.  In most of life's circumstances, we seek those of like mind, but in a family because we love each other we can't just walk away from different ideas.  We must learn to listen and be tolerant of opposing ideas.   This is no exception with my siblings.  There have been times I couldn't believe that we shared DNA. But, when I have had really hard times, without exception Joe, Bev and Margo have supported me unconditionally.  Even if they don't agree with me, they have been loving and loyal.  I am so grateful for this unique enduring relationship with the people I call my brother and my sisters.


It has been interesting to watch my children's relationships with each other as they have left home.  I have witnessed their love and loyalty even amidst frustration(I know you don't always see eye-to-eye) with each other.  But it does my heart good to know you will be there for each other always!
Irish Highland Dr  1998

SLC Temple  20011 (you guys clean up well compared to the above picture )
J

Katie for rearranging her schedule so she could spend time with her brothers and sisters.
Katie for sharing her talents to make life a little better( without Katie we would be missing so many great pictures).

Lisa for finally seeing her little sister as a person not a pest.
Lisa putting aside plans, finding a ride to Utah to spend time with Lori who just needed her sister that weekend.

Lori for taking time to write letters and draw cute pictures.
Lori for walking away from an argument.

Peter for guiding Drew through those first few post mission months.
Peter for opening his home to homesick sisters.

Drew for dropping everything to be by Peter when he got sick.
Drew for offering firm and wise counsel, then lots of love to little sisters

Christie for sharing her kids and tolerating so many parenting tips.
Christie for opening her home ALWAYS and sometimes for long periods of time.

These are just a few and I am sure there are many more I don't know about. 

These moments together are precious and fleeting--make the most of time together...and I will too, even now I am planning a sister retreat with Margo and Bev.  And Joe is planning trip here next year.  I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment