I Skyped with Christie and kids nearly every day this week. All week I mostly watched them lay around. That is not typical for Topher, Maddie and Caroline. I even wondered if they were getting sick. They are usually active and talkative. I
remember thinking my kids almost never just lay around. So with that thought on my mind, I looked through photos this morning and I realized that my memory had failed me. There were plenty of pictures of my kids having "down time".
"Down time" is sometimes thought of as being lazy because it is not productive time. This could be true--too much of anything is not good. But mostly down time is much needed rest time. Even if we don't sleep it is time to settle down and regroup.
Dad is good at this. He takes a "power nap" every day. It is only for 15 minutes, but it helps him be more productive the remainder of the day. When you were about four years old each of gave up nap time. But we still had "rest time" where you would go to your room and read books or play quietly for an hour. I used that time to work like crazy. I think I would have been better off using that time to rest and power up for the rest of the day. I would have been a less stressed momma going into the evening hours.
I
remember my
mom saying she was off to "read her scriptures". We all knew that was code for I am going to go lay down for an hour so don't bug me. I am pretty sure she also read her scriptures, but she also valued her rest time. Mimi McQuade is the most perfect person I know so it must be important. It is funny for me to think back on that
memory.
I think maybe that is what Sunday is for also. Not that Sunday is just for napping, but time to regroup, re-energize and renew ourselves so we can tackle the next 6 days. It is a good time to "time out" of everyday activity. Sunday is anything but restful for members of our church, in fact for church leadership it can be the busiest day of the week. Still it is a different kind of busy. And resting from everyday work--house work, employment work, home work will probably make us more productive the rest of the week. We could r
emember every once in awhile to take time for "down-time". I just know we will feel better when you do.
Here are some random pictures to help us
remember how wonderful "down time" can be.
 |
| Sept 1988 Drew and Christie relaxing on swing Topeka Ks at Mimi and Papa's home--there is nothing quite like relaxing in the sun. |
 |
| December 1988 Christie watching TV in a box |
 |
| December 1988 Christie in Provo UT |
 |
| September 1991 Christie and Peter--sound asleep on front porch |
 |
| August 1990 Drew watching TV with dad's basketball shoes |
 |
| December 1990 Peter crashed on couch cushion |
 |
| December 1990 Christie, Uncle Joey and Drew watching TV at Grandmother and Papa's home |
 |
| January 1992 Christie and Lori snuggling |
 |
| August 2001 Peter with Game Boy at Beach House |
 |
| July 1994 Lori "chilling" with Tricot |
 |
| July 1999, Lisa and Uncle Joey at Beach house |
 |
| November 1999 Katie, Lisa, Chaela and Lori coloring |
 |
| August 2000 Lisa and Lori reading the "funnies" |
 |
| December 1996 Lori, Dad and Peaches reading Lion King |
 |
| August 2000 Katie napping under the table |
 |
| September 2001 Katie at the soccer fields--I think she was mad |
 |
| August 2000 Katie resting on bottom stair |
 |
December 2000 Lisa relaxing in Papa Barnes chair
|
Well I am off to practice what I preach--I have a good book and comfy bed calling to me for some wonderful "down time".
Family updates
1. Congratulation on Tyler for his new raise.
2. Congratulation on Katie playing soccer for Harrison High--GO HOYAS!
3. Lisa has a new surgery date. She will have her ankle operated on May 29, 2014. She will go through another 12 week recovery and be up and ready to go in late September.
4.
Remember to input your work-out times into our fitness doc.
No comments:
Post a Comment